A dog would be nice about now
Here in Dallas we've been blessed with unusually warm weather the past couple of days. I almost could have worn shorts... in February! I get home in the evening, and it is so nice outside - perfect weather for a walk. It makes me really want a dog. I've wanted one for a long time. It would be so nice to come home to some company and to have a walking partner for these beautiful evenings. I want a golden retriever puppy, only I want it to stay small. Good luck, I know. Can't someone learn how to make miniature goldens? Maybe that should be my dissertation research project. I once saw a mix between a beagle and a bassett hound that was really cute, and smaller. The baying bark might get annoying though. I want one that's cuddly and cute but that won't grow up to be too big. No, I do NOT want a cat! And no, I don't want to skip the puppy stage either.
The negatives:
I live in an apartment, and I would feel so guilty keeping it cooped up all day while I'm away at school. And I don't get home at the same time every day. This would also make house-breaking pretty difficult.
I think the complex charges $300-400 for a pet deposit.
I haven't fully read the training books yet. I once told myself that was a requirement before I would let myself get one.
But, if I wait till these things are not an issue, it will be at least 2 more years+. Only at that time might I possibly be able to afford to move into a rent house (the only answer I see to the above problems). By then I will have paid off my truck and will have some more disposable income.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The negatives:
I live in an apartment, and I would feel so guilty keeping it cooped up all day while I'm away at school. And I don't get home at the same time every day. This would also make house-breaking pretty difficult.
I think the complex charges $300-400 for a pet deposit.
I haven't fully read the training books yet. I once told myself that was a requirement before I would let myself get one.
But, if I wait till these things are not an issue, it will be at least 2 more years+. Only at that time might I possibly be able to afford to move into a rent house (the only answer I see to the above problems). By then I will have paid off my truck and will have some more disposable income.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.







5 Comments:
I know it's not the same as owning one, but you could always volunteer to walk dogs at the local humane society. I'm sure they could use the help, and you could have some hands-on "training" as well.
Wow, someone actually reads my blog :-)
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into how flexible their walking schedule is and if there is one close enough to my house.
You are, of course, welcome to our Golden Retriever whenever you want.
Chris
You mean the wildest dog in the world? Of course you would want someone to babysit that dog.
Becca
Babysit? I was thinking of something more permanent...
Also, I talked to Jonathan and he said that you all wanted our 4 cats, so be sure to come by and pick them up.
Chris
Post a Comment
<< Home