DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Behind my blog - part one

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

6.26.2005

Behind my blog - part one

I discovered blogging in November, the day I started this blog. I was attracted to the idea because I thought it would be cool to have an online journal and would be a great way to keep in touch with friends. Of course that requires that they come here and read it. :-) I had always failed at the written journals or diaries before, but this is working for me.

When creating the blog, the two most difficult decisions for me were the title and the web address. If you go back to my first post you'll notice that it was well after 2 a.m. I thought long and hard about what describes my life and what would be catchy. Singing is something that I thoroughly enjoy, whether it's at the top of my lungs in my truck, or silently in my heart. And when I find a good song, boy does it excite me. So, where did the web address come from?

One of my favorite contemporary Christian artists is Chris Rice. In some ways he's a new Rich Mullins. He sings songs about aspects of life that not many other people focus on and writes with simple but profound words. So I chose this song: Life Means so Much. Here are the lyrics. Now may we all be reminded to view every day as a gift.

Every day is a journal page
Every man holds a quill and ink
And there's plenty of room for writing in
All we do is believe and think
So will you compose a curse
Or will today bring the blessing
Fill the page with rhyming verse
Or some random sketching

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

Every day is a bank account
And time is our currency
So nobody's rich, nobody's poor
We get 24 hours each
So how are you gonna spend
Will you invest, or squander
Try to get ahead
Or help someone who's under

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

Has anybody ever lived who knew the value of a life
And don't you think giving is all
What proves the worth of yours and mine

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

Every day is a gift you've been given
Make the most of the time every minute you're living


I named my iPod My Cathedral. So in essence "my cathedral" goes with me wherever - on the train, to the swings...

Next time: blog title.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Chris Rice being so much like Rich Mullins. I love his songs. Thanks for sharing your inspiration. By the way, I don't have a current email address on you and the one you have posted here wouldn't accept one from me. Drop me a line at my hotmail account so I have an email address. Thanks!
Ginger

6/27/2005 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great title!

6/27/2005 03:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S....
Where does "Valleys Fill First" come from?

6/27/2005 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Didn't you read the very last line of my post? That story comes next. Impatience I tell you... :-)

6/27/2005 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Blogs are pretty cool. Your's is great Karen.

6/27/2005 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am still a little mad about you having one, because if you did not have one, then I would not have one, and I would have alot more time!

6/27/2005 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks, Paul. I'm glad you like it.

Chris, didn't anyone teach you not to succumb to peer pressure? I will say though, through your blog you have met some very interesting people. I really like Robyn's blog, and it's interesting that she lives in the city right next door to me.

6/27/2005 11:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patience doesn't happen to be one of my virtues.... :-)

6/28/2005 05:15:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I tired, I really tried. I guess I am just weak.

"Interesting" is a good word to describe my blog readers. LOL.

Yes, Robyn does seem like a really neat person.

6/28/2005 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

P.S. Which version of iPod do you own? I am thinking of getting Ruth Ann a mini.

6/28/2005 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

lol, karen, and chris, you guys crack me up. I'm thankfulthat I found some pretty neat blogging buddies. I have to thank chris for putting my name out there for people to notice and comment. It makes for a richer blogging experience.

I think I want to set my mother up with her own blog. she has always tried to keep a journal but i believe with the insentive of strangers reading it and the feedback, she might be more loyal to online journaling. we'll see if it works, and I'll have to introduce you guys.

6/28/2005 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Kaaaareeenn...
Where's part 2? We're waiting with baited breath.

6/28/2005 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yea, update already. Its been like 2 days. Ok, you forced me: I refuse to floss my teeth until you post the part 2.

Love to meet your Mom Robyn.

6/29/2005 12:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who lives with the man, he won't be making a sacrifice, unless his dentist appt. is next week...sorry, babe, I couldn't refuse! LOL!!

RA

6/29/2005 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I do not know why you say these things about me. I floss every month like you are supposed to, and now I will being using those new fangled nose strips I have been hearing so much about.

6/29/2005 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, well unlike the rest of you, sometimes I have to wait on inspiration before I write. And I'm not lucky enough to be able to sit at home all day and read blogs. Plus it didn't help that I wasn't feeling well on Monday. I did start on part 2 last night though. It's in the oven of the drafts folder.

Robyn, when I was reading your comment I thought it said that your mom would be more likely to journal since there are insensitive strangers reading it! HA! We'll try to be nicer than that.

Oh, and just so you know, I couldn't sleep. Woke up at 4 and thought I would read blogs...

6/29/2005 04:48:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Who flosses? Why floss anyway when you can affix strips of basically duct tape to your nose and then rip away all the nasties? Ooooo. I think I may be on to something. TEETH strips. Then everyone, even Chris, could floss more efficiently.

6/29/2005 10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home