DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Dancing, huh?

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

7.15.2005

Dancing, huh?

So you guys have all given me some good ideas. Funny how they all involve dancing... seven viels? No, I don't think so Chris... swing or ballroom? maybe. There's a saying on a notepad a friend gave me a long time ago... "Hug a musician. They never get to dance." Pretty accurate I would say.

Unfortunately, there is no one to dance with, or I would go. I think it would be a lot of fun to relax and let loose a little. Swing would be my first choice for this occasion (that is one word I can never remember how to spell). Ballroom is actually something I've always wanted to learn. You won't find me wearing a corset though.

I did have a chance to go to dinner last night with my two closest school friends, Ryan and Malia. They've been with me through all the frustration and in the thick of the opposition by the professor, so they could share in my celebration too. Turns out they also had reasons of their own for celebrating. Ryan got a much needed experiment to work yesterday, finally, after a long time trying (yes, believe me, that calls for a huge celebration sometimes), and Malia found out last week that she was selected by the school to be on a training grant - great news for her! I need to hang around them more often so their smarts will rub off on me! You don't know how true that is!

We went to La Hacienda Ranch for mexican food. It's of course Tex Mex and combines the ranch atmosphere of country music and stuffed animal heads. Their salsa is BY FAR the BEST I have EVER tasted. The secret is smoked tomatillos. I should have bought extra to bring home. I am a sucker for good salsa. Afterwards we continued on to their house to watch a movie. It was really fun to spend time with them again... and to share in all of our excitement.

So on my second day in the lab as an official member I get an email from my mentor saying, "In choosing a program of study it is probably a good idea to think ahead about who you would like to serve on your thesis committee, so you can make sure they have priveleges to do so in your program of choice." or something like that. I read it and thought, "Good honk, dude! I just made this HUGE decision and the next day I have to start making another one?" Good intentions I know, and in graduate school there really is no such thing as a break sometimes, AND since I am "behind" it is true that that is the next thing on my plate. BUT, come on! Let me enjoy the relief from this decision first! I did talk with him about it yesterday to hear his suggestions, but I don't plan to think on them AT ALL until at least Monday. There is more celebrating to be done first, even if it is in the form of relaxation... and sleep! Tonight, for example, I'm going to another friend's house to watch the first original Star Wars. I finally saw Episode III this past Tuesday. Reference post here.

Today I get to unpack my box. Woohoo!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh no! Now you are out of order for Star Wars!

At least this prof does not sign you up and forget about you. It sounds like now that you are on his team, he is on top of it, so that sounds good.

7/15/2005 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm not out of order. Maybe you are the one that hit your head. :-) Yes, it is nice to see Mark (the mentor) take this all to heart. That's one of the main reasons I'm staying here - that he does take his part seriously.

7/15/2005 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You are right first = IV, so III -> IV is the correct order. Sorry, never mind. I may have been hit on the head.

7/15/2005 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Karen
I'm glad that Mark is thinking ahead even if it is a big decision. He is really looking out for you. It has been so long since I have gotten to comment, I almost forgot my username and password.

7/15/2005 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I'm a musician and yes, I need a hug. :)

I like your blog. Take care!

7/16/2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi goddess. Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to take a look at your blog. What is your musical talent?

7/16/2005 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home