DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: The engagement story

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

4.18.2006

The engagement story

Sorry you all had to wait so long. I got really sick last week with bronchitis and my family came into town this past weekend. But now I finally found some time to blog!

We have been somewhat non-traditional with everything related to the engagement. For instance, by the time he actually proposed, we already had the date set, the church building reserved, the officiant selected, gift registries complete, the invitations picked out and my first appointment set for wedding dress shopping. We were just waiting on the ring to be ready and Scott's travel schedule to cooperate so he could talk to my dad. The whole wedding thing is another reason I haven't been blogging a whole lot the last few months... didn't want to leak the news before it was official.

I think we decided in March to set the target of July for the big day. I'm not having a super fancy wedding so it shouldn't be too difficult to get everything done by then. That and the fact that everything so far has just fell into place. For instance, just today I found out that we get our pre-marriage counseling for free from one of the ministers at the South Mac church. It's just a service he offers. Awesome! Then there was the dress. I went to David's Bridal last week with one of my bridesmaids. We picked out about 10 dresses to start with. I selected the one I liked the best to try on first. Let's just say I never got to the other nine. That's right. I tried on one and only one dress and loved it. It is perfect! Plus it was on sale 50% off! The only real alteration it needs is a major hem since I'm so short, and my parent's neighbor can do that. Boy was that a major stress relieved. Sorry, no pics. Scott reads this blog.

Okay, okay. The story.

Scott did a wonderful job of making the proposal evening special, even though I knew it was coming. He picked me up about 8 o'clock and we went to dinner first. He blindfolded me so I did not know where we were headed. We drove and drove and drove.

He helped me out of the car, turned me around and removed the blindfold to reveal that we were at the very Red Lobster where we went on our first date. "This is where it all began," he said. I was so excited. Red Lobster has become my favorite place to celebrate special things. While at dinner, he re-enacted our first date, recalling those first "get to know you better" questions. Scott carries a PDA phone that has internet access. He used it on our first date to search for the movie we were going to go see. I think he was also trying to show off :-) He pulled it out again and acted silly this time too. He made me laugh all through dinner, and we had a great time. Then we headed on to spot #2.

My eyes were covered up once again and off we went. I thought I had it figured out where we were going, but then he took too many turns, and I lost track. He walked me a little ways to a bench and helped me sit down. By this time I was incredibly nervous with knots throughout my stomach. My hands were trembling, and I already had tears forming in my eyes.

He shuffled around a bit and then told me I could remove my blindfold. I did so and found him down on one knee with the ring sparkling in the moonlight. He asked me to marry him, and I just started bawling. Then I realized I should answer him - with yes, of course. Then I went back to crying... and hugging... and kissing. :-)

After all that, I realized we were at the very park where we had our first phone conversation. My cell phone was not getting good reception the day he called, so I drove to the park and sat in the truck while we talked. We also had our third date at this park. We sat on the swings, and walked around the beautiful pond.

Where he proposed was right next to the pond. There was a beautiful lit fountain in the background. The ambience, the sounds and the temperature were perfect.

About a week earlier, Scott had asked me where I had always imagined my proposal taking place. "To be honest," I told him. "In my mind it's always been on the beach." We couldn't exactly run to the nearest beach here, but I thought the pond was a special touch.

What do you think guys? Did Scott do a great job or what!? He is such a special man, and I'm honored to have the opportunity and blessing to spend the rest of my life with him as his wife. I can't wait!

July 8, 2006 - the big day... 79 days to go.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very nervous too. I wanted to give Karen a most memorable proposal, after all this is a story she will tell for a lifetime.

-Scott

4/19/2006 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger ann said...

Too too sweet. :) To quote Chris Rice, "I'm a sucker for happy endings..." :) Many years of happiness!!!! May this only be the beginning of your joy together!

4/20/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Nice job Scott!

4/20/2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Aw, honey, that was a sweet comment.

4/21/2006 08:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am so happy for you and Scott, he sounds like a very special man. Keep all of us updated in what is happening.
Brenda

4/21/2006 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Karen! Congratulations! Not sure if you remember me (it's been quite a while since the OC/KoJoKai days), but I am very happy for you. What a beautiful ring too! :-)

4/22/2006 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Congratulations! He did a great job! I am so happy for you both!

4/25/2006 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

There are KoJoKai at OC, too?

4/30/2006 02:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you Karen!! Katie and I will be looking into carpooling to Austin for the big day.

Heather

PS-Maybe we need to have a Ko Jo Kai reunion. Hi Tonya!

5/01/2006 09:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home