DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: News-less

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

8.03.2007

News-less

I have to admit, I'm just not very good at keeping up with the news. I used to watch the 10 o'clock broadcasts regularly, but when I moved to Dallas, the amount of violence and other negative news items increased dramatically over what I was used to hearing about in Oklahoma. I just started turning it off.

The problem is I didn't adopt a new method for reading or hearing the latest news. I'm not good at checking news online, nor do I listen much to talk radio. Consequently, I only heard about the Minnesota bridge collapse yesterday. My favorite Christian radio station mentioned for us to all keep that area in our prayers. So this morning I'm trying to search around and learn what I can. It's sad. They still don't know how many people may be trapped in the waters below. I can't imagine dying like that, not able to catch my breath and my lungs filling up with water.

It's sounds to me like this could have been prevented. Studies in 2001 and 2005 reported fatigue problems and labeled it as structurally deficient. Why didn't they do something about it? Now I'm curious to know how often they do inspect bridges, and how often do necessary repairs get pushed aside? And for a while at least, I will be leary of crossing over any bridge.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I feel the same way. I am not looking forward to having to cross any bridges either. It all comes down to money from what I've heard. But can we put a price on life?

8/03/2007 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It makes me wonder how many more bridges are structurally deficient. They ought to have a big sign over the entrance of the bridge that labels its condition, and then you can decide yourself whether you want to cross it or not.

8/05/2007 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That is a good idea, but are you then held liable for any repercussion of a collapse? I wonder if the gov't is going to pay for all the medical bills of the people that were injured and the funeral costs of those who died?

8/05/2007 10:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home