DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Back to that good news I mentioned

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

6.23.2005

Back to that good news I mentioned

Last Friday, the investigator of the current lab in which I'm rotating decided it was time that we sit down and evaluate things. I was nervous because I have been unsure of how he thought I was doing. Not to mention, these type of meetings have ended negatively in the past. "I looked again at my numbers, and I don't have enough money." So I sat there in his office in suspense while he was tied up by the secretary. This time though, my anxieties were soon relieved.

He was generous with his encouraging words and praise of my work ethic and perseverance. He does have money and the other people in the lab like me too. So, he extended an offer for me to stay. Music to my ears! I have not accepted that offer yet, for a few reasons. A new technician started on Monday, and it's important that I evaluate with her in the picture also. And then there's this: I do not have a passion for what I'm working on here like I did in the previous labs studying cancer and such. The passion is very important almost to the point of necessity when this is something that you have to do for 5 years! There has to be something that gets you out of bed every day and interests you enough to read extensively about it. I shared that with him. BUT, at this point, since I have had trouble finding a lab, to a certain extent my search criteria has to change. I may have to go somewhere where the topic and I do not have a love connection. Instead I have to find a place where I can be well-trained under good mentorship. And Mark is just that - candidate for a potentially great mentor. That is the reason I sought out this lab in the first place. The dean and others have great things to say about him and he has a great track record with this university and previous trainees. It is also true that once a project becomes more of my own, a naturally passion will likely develop. I just never thought I would become a glycobiologist/enzymologist. It's fun to say though. I shared these thoughts with Mark, and he was very pleased. He's out of town for the next two of three weeks, so I will continue to evaluate. But, hey I may have found my match! Wouldn't that be a relief.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Reading this made me think of all the drugs I have dutifully taken over the years simply because a doctor prescribed them. My trust was not so much in the doctor, but in the hours of intricate research that people like you put into making sure they do what they are supposed to. Remember that no matter how uninteresting it may be to you, someone out there is VERY interested in what you do and whether you get it right. Now...go ye forth and find my cure!

6/24/2005 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for the additional perspective. Unfortunately, I'm not working in a lab focused on your ailment. But, how ironic would it be if it somehow tied together. The more we learn, the more we see overlap.

6/24/2005 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Actually, a lot of the drugs used in MS have trickled down from AIDs research and oddly enough from Hodgekins research. About ten years ago we lost a lot of funding to AIDs, but there has been some benefit. Just for fun maybe you could research a way to get me better side effects. I could deal with flu like symptoms if you could throw in a purple haze. :)

6/24/2005 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is the only opportunity that has presented itself, I would be inclined to believe that God has a plan for you in this lab. Who knows what it may be -- could it be that you may be meant to be a contributor to this area of research, or could it be that your Christian influence might bring others to Christ in this experience? There is a reason that everything happens, and God is behind all aspects of our lives, using us to bring about His will. We'll be praying for you as you make this decision.
By the way, in "Joseph" "choreography" rehearsal last night, after some confustion on a "lift" we miscommunicated on my "choreography" partner landed wrong and hurt her knee -- I hope it wasn't an ACL. Her dad's a Dr., so at least she'll be in good hands and get good care if it is something serious. I still felt bad though. The other dancers reassured me that dancers get hurt all the time, and not to worry about it.

6/24/2005 12:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen,
I tend to agree that maybe God is opening an unexpected door, but I also know that I admire you're skills and that you will make the right decision...and by the way...since when is Mardee a dancer?! Is this the same Mardee I knew???
:)

6/24/2005 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It is not everyday that someone gets to work with a glycobiologist/enzymologist. I, myself, rarely do, although I am still looking, so count your blessings.

P.S. And read Steve Jobs commencement adddress at Stanford.

6/25/2005 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Mardee, yes that has been at the forefront of my mind. Actually everything that has happened so far is evidence that there is a guiding hand right there in the middle - where I would go to school, where I would live, every single rotation has had it's purpose, and every option has sort of left me with only one choice at that very moment. So, yes I would agree. Part of the lack of decision right now is stubbornness.

Bri, yes, it's the same Mardee. Funny huh? He and Lindsay are going to be performing in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in the great city of Tahlequah! I wish I could go see it.

Chris, that is indeed a good speech. I guess I should go hungry and stay foolish.

6/25/2005 05:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home