For our Dad
My dad grew up during the Depression, and it is true that those who did so will always carry a part of it with them. Frugality and the attitude of "do the best with what you have" are two of the many lessons he learned. Let me just share a specific example of how he has used these lessons in his everyday life for years. It's one that is rather funny and my mom and my sisters and others who we have told about it over the years have always laughed about it.
One thing we never had while I was growing up was a new car. In fact rarely would my dad buy a car that was not at least 10 years old, and they nearly always had at least 100,000 miles. Incidentally, we had a whole lot of cars over the years. And all those cars always needed work. I don't remember us taking any one of them to a mechanic until I was in high school. Dad developed the necessary skills over the years to fix just about everything that was wrong with them. And he probably kept Haynes in business with all the vehicle repair manuals he bought. (In turn when I got my first car, nearly the first thing I bought for it was the Haynes manual - HA!)
Many times he would stray from the manual if something wasn't working quite like it should. Perhaps that's where I get part of my scientific tendencies - try it this way and see what happens. He was known to employ three things that were always easily attainable and very cheap: duct tape, twigs and coke cans. One was always in the house, the others in the yard or trash. Saved 50 cents there. The duct tape wasn't as much a stretch as were the twigs. Many people implement the tape for covering holes in hoses until they can be replaced. Only my dad probably wouldn't replace them. If it was working, he would leave it that way. But twigs and coke cans - well here's where it gets interesting. For some reason Dad would always find hoses under the hood that seemed to have no where to go. They would be hooked up on one end and free on the other. Instead of figuring out where they were supposed to go, he would stuff them with twigs. And somehow, at least according to him, they always helped the car to run better. The rpm idle always seemed to even out. There was one point when we had three of the same type of car. Different years and colors, but all were Dodge Colts. I want to say that he made sure there were twigs in the same places in all three whether they needed a twig or not. If that's not a correct memory, I wouldn't have put it past him. The coke cans would often help hold something up away from something else is wasn't supposed to be touching or added decoration - I don't remember exactly.
Well, I was shopping for his Father's Day card last weekend. I laughed out loud in the store when I found this one. I scanned it before I mailed it so I could post it here today. Now that you've heard this story, you'll appreciate the card more. I did forget to scan it before I signed it, but I didn't write anything too serious so it's okay if you read it. I mailed it first to Rebecca who was then to mail it to Ruth Ann who was to take it to Debi so we could all sign it for him. A special card just for our dad. Keep in mind, this card was really one in the store. I added duct tape to the edge just for decoration and humor, and Rebecca was supposed to find some small twigs to glue inside. I called him today, and he still hadn't gotten it, so I don't know what exactly happened. I can't wait to hear his reaction. Happy Father's Day, Dad.
UPDATE: Okay, so this week was my neice's birthday (Ruth Ann's daughter). Ruth Ann got the card from Becca and assumed it was for her own birthday in two weeks. Perhaps Becca was just being efficient, she thought. Then she remembered last night. I just called and everyone was at Mom and Dad's house, and he had read the card. He didn't "get it" without explanation though (silly Dad). Even when I just talked to him now he told me he also thought we had actually bought it at a garage sale and made it ourselves. But he laughed, and that's all we wanted.
One thing we never had while I was growing up was a new car. In fact rarely would my dad buy a car that was not at least 10 years old, and they nearly always had at least 100,000 miles. Incidentally, we had a whole lot of cars over the years. And all those cars always needed work. I don't remember us taking any one of them to a mechanic until I was in high school. Dad developed the necessary skills over the years to fix just about everything that was wrong with them. And he probably kept Haynes in business with all the vehicle repair manuals he bought. (In turn when I got my first car, nearly the first thing I bought for it was the Haynes manual - HA!)
Many times he would stray from the manual if something wasn't working quite like it should. Perhaps that's where I get part of my scientific tendencies - try it this way and see what happens. He was known to employ three things that were always easily attainable and very cheap: duct tape, twigs and coke cans. One was always in the house, the others in the yard or trash. Saved 50 cents there. The duct tape wasn't as much a stretch as were the twigs. Many people implement the tape for covering holes in hoses until they can be replaced. Only my dad probably wouldn't replace them. If it was working, he would leave it that way. But twigs and coke cans - well here's where it gets interesting. For some reason Dad would always find hoses under the hood that seemed to have no where to go. They would be hooked up on one end and free on the other. Instead of figuring out where they were supposed to go, he would stuff them with twigs. And somehow, at least according to him, they always helped the car to run better. The rpm idle always seemed to even out. There was one point when we had three of the same type of car. Different years and colors, but all were Dodge Colts. I want to say that he made sure there were twigs in the same places in all three whether they needed a twig or not. If that's not a correct memory, I wouldn't have put it past him. The coke cans would often help hold something up away from something else is wasn't supposed to be touching or added decoration - I don't remember exactly.
Well, I was shopping for his Father's Day card last weekend. I laughed out loud in the store when I found this one. I scanned it before I mailed it so I could post it here today. Now that you've heard this story, you'll appreciate the card more. I did forget to scan it before I signed it, but I didn't write anything too serious so it's okay if you read it. I mailed it first to Rebecca who was then to mail it to Ruth Ann who was to take it to Debi so we could all sign it for him. A special card just for our dad. Keep in mind, this card was really one in the store. I added duct tape to the edge just for decoration and humor, and Rebecca was supposed to find some small twigs to glue inside. I called him today, and he still hadn't gotten it, so I don't know what exactly happened. I can't wait to hear his reaction. Happy Father's Day, Dad.
UPDATE: Okay, so this week was my neice's birthday (Ruth Ann's daughter). Ruth Ann got the card from Becca and assumed it was for her own birthday in two weeks. Perhaps Becca was just being efficient, she thought. Then she remembered last night. I just called and everyone was at Mom and Dad's house, and he had read the card. He didn't "get it" without explanation though (silly Dad). Even when I just talked to him now he told me he also thought we had actually bought it at a garage sale and made it ourselves. But he laughed, and that's all we wanted.







10 Comments:
That is a great story--and a GREAT card!
Hope he gets it soon and laughs so loud you can hear him!
Blessings!
JB
Thank you, Karen. I must say that I am now a bit more proud of my first car. Not just any 1980, bright yellow Dodge Colt; but a Mr.Reynolds original. I really shoulda checked it for twigs and coke cans.
I figured you might be the first to comment, Amy. I thought of you when I wrote that part.
I remember that car very fondly! In fact, your dad had some brown towels in the front seat serving as upholstry, and I think my mom just quite using them as mop towels. I always smiled when I saw those towels. Funny they lasted years longer than the car. Crazy women drivers!
Mom just reminded me that, in fact, there were some coke cans and twigs in the car that my Dad couldn't quite figure out. Dad is a by the book kinda mechanic so I am sure he was sent on a bit of a chase figuring it out.
Yes, I remember you telling me about that shortly after y'all bought the car. My silly Dad.
That was a great story about your daddy...you must be the Baby in the family. And the card was too cute. I really liked the thought of adding twigs, tape, and cans..very sweet and endearing
Hmm. No one has ever assumed before that I am the baby in the family. I'm actually third of the four.
The funniest thing is that Dad did not get it. He thought you really did re-use a card. That just goes to show the card was on target, perhaps a little too on target. :)
There was a lady at our church when I was growing up who used to really do this. We would get Christmas cards with stickers over the previous writing. It was easy to peel it back to see who had received it first. The rumour was she had gotten these at garage sales.
it was a good family joke to see who got this card out of the mail first and was the first one to peel back the stickers.
Angi Lovejoy
Post a Comment
<< Home