DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Enjoying a cup of tea

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

7.16.2005

Enjoying a cup of tea

My blogging chair
Here is my blogging chair. Notice the laptop power cord and the other desk chair I use for propping up my feet or as a table. I rarely actually use my desk anymore. At least not until the next paper is assigned. I keep a fan close by for when the heat comes through the window. I love this chair; it is so comfortable. It even swivels. When my friend helped me move in, he carried it upside down on top of his head like a helmet - it was funny. It was the coveted chair in the office of my college band director; everyone would fight over who got to sit in it when we had band officer meetings. He got rid of it when he was promoted and changed offices. I don't remember how I was so lucky to acquire it. I think I was just in the right place at the right time.

I'm sitting in it right now while I'm writing an email to a good friend who suggested I buy some chamomile tea to help me relax. I haven't been sleeping well. All the anxiety before my decision and sometimes utter happiness had been keeping me up or waking me up early - I don't remember when I slept more than 5 hours in one night. Aside from not being a good situation, it has caught up with me. I was plain dorky last night when I went to my friend's house to watch Star Wars. I couldn't talk right, I forgot how to chop bell peppers efficiently, I almost fell asleep during the most exciting part of the movie! She said I was rather amusing and gave her some good laughs. When I got home, I slept a solid nine hours. Maybe I'll pull myself out of the rut yet. And yes, I did enjoy the movie.

The tea is an herbal selection from Celestial Seasonings called "Tension Tamer." It has ginger, chamomile, and eleuthero and combines peppermint, cinnamon and lemon grass for flavoring. It smells divine! And the taste is not bad either. Here is the message on the back of the box:
"Harmony is the inner cadence of contentment we feel when the melody of life is in tune. When somehow we're able to strike the right chord - to balance the expectations of our families and our responsibilities in the world on one hand with our inner needs for spiritual growth and personal expression on the other . . . Usually, when the distractions of daily life deplete our energy, the first thing we eliminate is the thing we need the most: quiet reflective time. Time to dream, time to think, time to contemplate what's working and what's not, so that we can make changes for the better."
-Sarah Ban Breathnach
I think I need another cup.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann Melton said...

Well, the sleep thing could be genetic - your mom gets by on much less sleep than I can. The soothing tea is a great idea.

I have problems sleeping at times. Caffeine has been a major issue. It is better for me if I don't consume caffeine after 6:00. And sometimes, my lunch tea that I might sip on all afternoon will also keep me awake. Making big decisions like you have been is very stressful and will certainly impact your sleep. Reducing the caffeine will help.

Another trick (not good when you are dieting) is something high in carbs (cinnamon toast, donuts, etc) with a nice glass of milk - will help get you to sleep. Something in both the milk and the breads work together to make your body want to sleep.

Now that your decision is pretty much made, you'll sleep better!

"night!

7/16/2005 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Is that stuff legal in Texas?

7/17/2005 06:16:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hee hee. I didn't think about it that way... maybe they are hiding something under the name "eleuthero."

MA, I doubt it's genetic, at least not yet. I usually require 8-9 hours of sleep.

7/17/2005 08:16:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I lived on that tea when I was pregnant with Ian because it is also really good for heartburn. I also fell asleep during Star Wars, but it was because I didn't like it. That's right. I didn't like it.

7/17/2005 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

And I love your chair!

7/17/2005 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Amy, I was with you on Harry Potter, but I am very sorry to say that you are totally on your own with this assualt Star Wars.

And remember: "The Force" is real.

7/17/2005 07:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Karen-
The bread thing works for Erik, or he has a steaming cup of decaf. I, on the other hand, just have to read myself to sleep (any text book seems to do the trick for me! heehee). I guess you could also try 25mg of Benadryl. It doesn't work for me, but it seemed to work in Guatamala.
OR it will be like last night and when you are finally exhausted enough you'll go to sleep (this seems to be working for me lately unfortunately I'm falling asleep at all the wrong times as in when my attending is telling me what I need to do or the patient's parent is trying to tell me what happened the night before.)
Anyway, let me know if the tea thing works, I may have to try it.
Jeanie

7/17/2005 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home