A selfless gesture
I got this email a little bit ago from someone on campus who has a heart to help others, specifically here, those affected by the devastation of the recent hurricane:
UPDATE: The school is responding. Random emails keep going out. People saying they're joining in this man's effort and putting boxes for donations in their offices. This is reminding me of salt. One grain is so small, but it does wonders.
Hello Everyone,I was saddened to see the president of a campus organization click "reply all" and basically stamp out what he was attempting to do, claiming that his organization has plans to do things and anything of this nature should go through the volunteer chairs, mainly because they know the rules for on-campus donations. The problem? Who knows when that would happen, according to how he stated it in his email. The man above wrote back and said he didn't feel this matter could wait - that there are people who need these necessities now. When it comes to something like this, I say, "Forget the rules." and "Good for him." And may God bless his efforts!!
My name is [removed] and first of all I wish to apologize for emailing you all about this, however I am hoping to be able to collect some first necessity items (Canned food, cereal, baby formula, drinking water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, clothing (infant-adult-anything you might have and don't need or no longer fit in--I have a lot of that! No garbage though, please), shoes, baby wipes, etc.) to give to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I know we are all very busy and some of us barely have enough for ourselves, but anything we can give I am sure will help these people who have lost EVERYTHING. I will be bringing collection boxes and putting them in front of the elevators in NA4 and NB4, as well as in the NB1 elevators and the north campus cafeteria. If anybody wants to help and put some large collection boxes in the South Campus area that would be great. I am planning on giving everything we get to the American Red Cross or depending on how things work out, driving it myself to Louisiana/Mississippi this weekend. I know it is short notice but I think we can do it. If you have any questions, please email me back. Thanks.
UPDATE: The school is responding. Random emails keep going out. People saying they're joining in this man's effort and putting boxes for donations in their offices. This is reminding me of salt. One grain is so small, but it does wonders.







2 Comments:
Forget the rules! I think the guy just felt one upped by someone else springing into action before he did. "Um, yeah, we were going to do something. Yeah. We were planning something HUGE. Yeah, that's the ticket."
Go good guy! Down with the too slow establishement.
Post a Comment
<< Home