DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: My new job

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

8.12.2005

My new job

I heard last night on the news that the gas prices soared again. Up twenty cents here overnight - now at $2.59 a gallon. Makes me want to complain, but then I think of my friends in Germany who have it worse.

So I told myself then and there that I have got to stop taking advantage of the luxury of sleeping just a little longer and waiting till the last minute to leave and DRIVE to the train station, which is only one mile away. Yes, I would walk, but it's hot and not fun to wear sweat all day. From now on, every mile counts, and I'm sure I waste more gas starting my truck for that short drive.

There is a bus stop right outside the apartment, so I've paid attention to when it comes - usually only a couple of minutes before the scheduled train departure, but later than when I usually leave to drive to the station. So, it's natural that it makes me nervous to take it, not knowing for sure if it will get there in time.

I got out there in plenty of time this morning. There was another lady waiting also. She takes the bus to the train every day. We waited and talked, and I could tell she was getting nervous because she kept looking at the time on her cell phone. She went on to say that the bus driver is more likely late on Fridays because the cops are out in full force on Fridays, and he told her they will stop even him. Sounds to me like the route times need to be tweaked just a bit.

Inevitably, we heard the horn of the train off in the distance before we saw the big yellow bus. There was no hope - we were going to miss it. In fact we heard the next horn indicating it was leaving the station, and still no bus. She told me her car was down at the station - she had left it there last night. I told her I could not wait for the next train and that I could give her a ride there if she wanted. She thought I meant to work and she immediately offered me 5 bucks to take her, saying that her inspection sticker was expired and she didn't want to drive. Caught me off guard for a moment, but I assessed the situation. We had just been talking for about 10 minutes now, she seems like a nice lady, she's honorable enough not to drive when her inspection is expired, it would offset my cost of driving into school - exactly what I tried so hard to avoid this morning... hmm... I guess that would be okay. So I agreed and we crossed the street to go get my truck. Just then we saw the bus. But it was too late.

So I took her into downtown, only 5 miles out of my way altogether. Not a bad thing. And I did not have class today. I told her I felt weird taking her money. She insisted. It will cover my trip, which now costs 3 DOLLARS! That's the extent of my complaining, at least for now. So look out for Karen's Truck Taxi anytime you are left standing at the bus stop. I think I may remember this next time the wallet gets empty. Hee hee. In the meantime, maybe I'll ride my bike to the station and carry it on the train. A little more cumbersome, but we'll see. It would only take a few minutes to ride the mile and I wouldn't sweat as much as I would walking.

Oh, and I saw it, with my own two eyes... the sign said 2.59/2.69/2.79. Unbelievable!

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

You said you got the truck to help out, right? What a clever new way you've found! Honk, Honk!

8/12/2005 08:13:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, Amy, that is true. I would have preferred her not to pay me though. It felt really strange.

8/12/2005 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

For a bit of pocket change she got to work with no worries about a ticket and you broke even. If it'll make you feel better, you could offer to pay your next passenger for the pleasure of their company.

8/12/2005 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, but that might sound a bit pathetic. ha ha.

8/12/2005 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I can just see it.
"Ha Ha. Good honk. That joke was so funny. Can I slip you a five for the laugh?"

8/12/2005 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

you create such balance in the world karen lol

8/13/2005 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Will you be painting the truck yellow and selling ads on it?

8/13/2005 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That's a very good idea, Chris. I think that will be my goal as soon as I learn that business is good and I pull in some cash.

8/13/2005 08:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I admire you for not complaining when it is indeed 5-6 bucks a gallon for gas here in Germany :)
What a funny story! Since we haven't been driving most of the summer we are constantly dealing with public transportation hiccups with time. Steve and Krisit right above us take the same route to their class every day and the strassenbahn leaves exactly seven minutes after their class. They have several connections, but if they miss that first tram, they get home 45 minutes later. Go figure. And then then lately, they haven't had that seven minutes because the tram's been coming EARLY. That's a german tram for ya'. On time or EARLY.

8/15/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Gas is crazy everywhere! We've got the same prices here in Kansas right now. To bad about the crazy bus/train schedules, but at least you got to meet someone new, that's a plus.

-Justin

8/16/2005 09:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home