Forgetfulness leads to :-(
There are better things to write about, but there has not been much time for that in trying to catch up from the last three weeks to get ready for the holidays.
I was listening to my iPod at work a week or so ago, and put it in my desk drawer while I ran to the bathroom or something. Well, I forgot I left it there and would only think about taking it out to put it in a safer place when I was home and away from the lab. So today, Scott sent me an email to remind me to get it, which I received while sitting here in the lab. I opened my drawer to retrieve it, and it was gone.
No surprise really. It was an unlocked drawer, and it is the holiday season. The lump in my throat came more from the fact that it was such an avoidable situation, more than from the fact that I just lost $200. It was also a mini, and they don't make those anymore.
It was my train and travel buddy. I had named it "My Cathedral" because it contained mostly Christian songs, and it could go with me wherever I went. Thus, I could sing praises in my own cathedral where ever I happened to be.
A campus police officer is on his way over to take a report. That will most likely only be a waste of this officer's time, but it does have a Scripture verse engraved on the back that would help distinguish it, should anyone feel the need to respond to their shadow of guilt and turn it in. This same Scripture verse is found at the bottom of the side column of my blog: Psalm 119:32 - "I run in the path of Your commands for You have set my heart free."
SOME MORE LATER - 6 o'clock: When something valuable gets stolen because you left it in an UNLOCKED drawer, well, you feel stupid. I of course called Scott once I found out it was gone, and he could tell I was bummed. Being the oh so sweet guy that he is, he did try to make me feel better by telling me this story. Once he was driving a truck for his company and needed to park at the airport. The sign near the entrance to the parking garage said clearance was only 9 feet. He proceeded, knowing full well that his truck was 12 feet tall (but forgetting at the same time). He did stop once he saw the ceiling slanting down, and he did not damage the truck, but people had to come out and remove a pipe and stop traffic for a while so he could back out of there. It did make me laugh.
He offered to return all of my Christmas presents and buy me the iPod Nano, but I declined. I would much rather see what he thought to get me (on his own). I hear from the people at his store that I should like it. NO, IT'S NOT THAT! :-) Plus, my birthday is just around the corner...
... KIDDING!
Have a good day everyone. Once my samples finish washing, I'm out of here to go and pick out my own gift from my mom, finish wrapping presents and packing. We leave for Temple/Austin tomorrow after work! Eleven days of vacation, here I come!
I was listening to my iPod at work a week or so ago, and put it in my desk drawer while I ran to the bathroom or something. Well, I forgot I left it there and would only think about taking it out to put it in a safer place when I was home and away from the lab. So today, Scott sent me an email to remind me to get it, which I received while sitting here in the lab. I opened my drawer to retrieve it, and it was gone.
No surprise really. It was an unlocked drawer, and it is the holiday season. The lump in my throat came more from the fact that it was such an avoidable situation, more than from the fact that I just lost $200. It was also a mini, and they don't make those anymore.
It was my train and travel buddy. I had named it "My Cathedral" because it contained mostly Christian songs, and it could go with me wherever I went. Thus, I could sing praises in my own cathedral where ever I happened to be.
A campus police officer is on his way over to take a report. That will most likely only be a waste of this officer's time, but it does have a Scripture verse engraved on the back that would help distinguish it, should anyone feel the need to respond to their shadow of guilt and turn it in. This same Scripture verse is found at the bottom of the side column of my blog: Psalm 119:32 - "I run in the path of Your commands for You have set my heart free."
SOME MORE LATER - 6 o'clock: When something valuable gets stolen because you left it in an UNLOCKED drawer, well, you feel stupid. I of course called Scott once I found out it was gone, and he could tell I was bummed. Being the oh so sweet guy that he is, he did try to make me feel better by telling me this story. Once he was driving a truck for his company and needed to park at the airport. The sign near the entrance to the parking garage said clearance was only 9 feet. He proceeded, knowing full well that his truck was 12 feet tall (but forgetting at the same time). He did stop once he saw the ceiling slanting down, and he did not damage the truck, but people had to come out and remove a pipe and stop traffic for a while so he could back out of there. It did make me laugh.
He offered to return all of my Christmas presents and buy me the iPod Nano, but I declined. I would much rather see what he thought to get me (on his own). I hear from the people at his store that I should like it. NO, IT'S NOT THAT! :-) Plus, my birthday is just around the corner...
... KIDDING!
Have a good day everyone. Once my samples finish washing, I'm out of here to go and pick out my own gift from my mom, finish wrapping presents and packing. We leave for Temple/Austin tomorrow after work! Eleven days of vacation, here I come!







4 Comments:
I do that sort of thing all the time. I think "this is a really bad place to put this" or "this is going to be a bad situation if I don't act now" and yet I often am too lazy to change it. I feel for you- that's an expensive mistake.
Karen:
Jeanie gave me an iPod for Christmas and it's AWESOME! Don't know how I'd ever live without it. It's simply the BEST THING EVER!
Oh, I guess that's probably not making you feel any better. Sorry.Try to have a merry Christmas anway.
--Erik
I am very sorry for your loss.
I'm always nervous driving into those low clearance garages...poor scott. I guess someone has to test the hight and make sure it says the proper measurement.
hope your christmas and newyears are safe and happy
Post a Comment
<< Home