Foreign fun
In my line of work (that sounds very professional, doesn't it?), I have the opportunity to interact with many people from other countries. In fact, I think doing so is one of my gifts. My class is roughly 67% American, 33% foreign, and many of them are from China and Korea. This is their first time in America and their first time to use English on a daily basis. Their interviews were done by phone, so there wasn't even a test visit. Imagine how they must have felt the very first month here. That is when I met most of them. And once I met a few, they all started coming around. I was able to give advice on buying cars, to help with vocabulary and or just be a friend. It was really great and I enjoyed the opportunities. Even to this day, there is not one foreign person in my class who passes me in the hall without stopping to talk. That's so much better than all of the rest of us who tend to pass and say, "How are you doing?" even when we have no intention of waiting on an answer.
I was checking my email briefly before class was about to start this morning. As is my tendency, in exclamation at something I read, I said out loud, "Good honk!" One of my Korean classmates was sitting nearby, and he asked, "What did you say?" Then, "What does it mean?" That was fun to explain. I went on to say, "It's like 'good grief.'" He looked even more puzzled. Okay, how about "Oh my?" He nodded his head to indicate he understood that one. I told him it was just another exclamatory phrase that I picked up from my oldest sister oh so long ago. We practiced the pronunciation and inflection, and now he's added another great phrase to his vocabulary. :-)
The post-docs in my current lab are from China. Today we were talking about translating American names into Chinese. My name in Chinese is Kai Lin Lei Nuozi. Kai Lin is my first name which means victory, beautiful jade. My last name is Lei Nuozi and means thunder promise now. So I guess when there is a promise of thunder now, I will have victory if I wear beautiful jade. Hmm... that doesn't really make sense. And I don't particularly like the color of jade.
It was a fun day.
I was checking my email briefly before class was about to start this morning. As is my tendency, in exclamation at something I read, I said out loud, "Good honk!" One of my Korean classmates was sitting nearby, and he asked, "What did you say?" Then, "What does it mean?" That was fun to explain. I went on to say, "It's like 'good grief.'" He looked even more puzzled. Okay, how about "Oh my?" He nodded his head to indicate he understood that one. I told him it was just another exclamatory phrase that I picked up from my oldest sister oh so long ago. We practiced the pronunciation and inflection, and now he's added another great phrase to his vocabulary. :-)
The post-docs in my current lab are from China. Today we were talking about translating American names into Chinese. My name in Chinese is Kai Lin Lei Nuozi. Kai Lin is my first name which means victory, beautiful jade. My last name is Lei Nuozi and means thunder promise now. So I guess when there is a promise of thunder now, I will have victory if I wear beautiful jade. Hmm... that doesn't really make sense. And I don't particularly like the color of jade.
It was a fun day.








10 Comments:
In my line of work, I work with foriegnors too, but they are all from India. For the most part they are pretty good guys, but I prefer typing back and forth to voice communication, so I do not have to wrestle with the accent.
I also work with people who no speak the language in my line of work. They are demanding midgets who scream orders in a foreign tongue. I think that talking to them in a not only calm manner, but kind and gentle, is a gift. The girl one says that my name is "Amy Ma-seashell". In English that's Amy Michelle.
I would have loved to watch the conversation about "Good honk!" I even have to explain the phrase to people from this country. I laughed out loud just thinking about it.
Becca
Hey, I am international student myself. I am not exactly Karen’s student but I had opportunity to talk to her. Yes, she is very nice and polite person. Great conversationalist!
I am testing using my name at the beginning of my message. Sorry to bore you.
Becca it worked! Your name is, in fact, at the beginning of the message! Good job!
Oooo, La La...I think I'll try it too!!
Ruth Ann said:
Uh oh, it ended up in the middle...well, maybe next time...
Thunder promise....that's cool! kinda like Gods promise in the rainbow to never destroy the earth by water.
wonder what kinda promise a thunder clap could mean?
Keep trying RA, you will get there.
The promise is: "I promise you will get wet unless you have an umbrella"
In my line of work, I work with foreigners, too....oh, wait...I'M the foreigner! I'M the one who "speaks the language!" That's funny. In Germany, we've had several people tell us that they don't understand why Americans ask "how are you" without really wanting to hear the real answer. In Germany, you only ask that if you're concerened with how they are doing or if you know they've been dealing with something. I've explained to my friends that we just have a different meaning behind it, but I also have changed the way I use that phrase now!
Post a Comment
<< Home