DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Amarillo report: oops, I had a knife!

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

10.23.2005

Amarillo report: oops, I had a knife!

As soon as I got to the terminal in Dallas, I heard West Texas. It was hick city all around me, and I hadn't even felt the wind blow yet. It was really funny to hear the accents as people were talking on their cell phones or chatting with me on the flight. I did learn that the Amarillo airport is sixth in line to land the space shuttle due to the long length of its runway. And it did seem like forever before we arrived at our gate upon landing.

Ginger was waiting for me at the end of the arrival hall, and it was so great to see her smile again! We caught up a bit on the way to her church life group meeting on Friday nite. They were meeting for poker (no money) at one of the minister's homes. (Shock!) I tried to learn a few of the rules, but in all honesty I was dog-tired. It had been a really long week.

I don't have memories of visiting a cottage at a children's home before. These houses are huge! She gave me a tour when we arrived. They have 9 girls in their house. The first thing I noticed upon entering was the HUGE table. Lots of chairs. Next was the huge kitchen which had two dishwashers and two refrigerators. The girls live in a long hall about two to a room. It's like church camp! Ginger and Jason are also blessed with four personal rooms in their own space. And the relief parents' area includes two more rooms. Of course their house in nothing compared to the brand new cottage on the property. It looks like a small mansion and is immaculate! A beautiful space to make young ones feel very special.

Our other friends arrived on Saturday. From then on, it was pretty much talking non-stop. We went to paint ceramics on Saturday afternoon. What a blast! We were there for four hours and talked non-stop. The purchase included the ceramic piece, 6 colors of paint, glaze and firing. I got out of there for under $10. I chose a 6" square and painted it to coordinate with my fiesta kitchen. I did a block pattern along the edge with black and many different bright colors, and a lime green square in the middle topped with a red chili pepper. I was pleased with the result. Ginger will bring our pieces to Oklahoma in Nov. when we all visit for homecoming. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera, so I'll post a picture later. It will look better then anyway after the firing.

The children's home has a commissary-type place on campus from which the house parents are able to shop for food and things. And everything is free. There is a local butcher that donates meat on a weekly basis, so Ginger treated us all to T-bone steaks and baked potatoes. Mmmmm! It was an excellent dinner. I cannot tell you the last time I had a steak.

The four of us girls curled up in the living room and watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and of course talked for a few hours afterwards. It was a good time.

I'm now at the airport for my return flight to Dallas. I just sat down at the gate after going through the security line. I could have gotten in BIG trouble just now. Unknowingly, I had a knife in my back pack. It was only a small 3" paring knife. I use it for my lunch at school, but I just forgot it was there. The funny thing is... this is my return flight. No one picked up on it in Dallas. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home