First wedding gift mishap
Since I married into an Hispanic family, it was required that I learn to make beans. Scott added a pressure cooker to our wedding registry, a must have to make them the way his mom does. We got one at Walmart and have made good use of it already. I know it will be great for things other than beans too.A few days ago we decided to have beans for dinner. We didn't have the full 3-4 hours for pre-soaking, only 1 hour this time. I thought it would be okay, so I threw them into the cooker and added the needed amount of water and other ingredients. I set the timer for the needed 30 mins and jumped in the shower. When I got out, I could smell something burning. Sure enough, it was the beans. When they are done there should still be water, about 1:1. This day there was no water left and the beans had started to shrivel. It took 3 days of soaking and SOS pads to get all the burned residue out.
I was putting the pressure cooker away the other day and lo and behold, the bottom is now warped. I am always very careful not to warp my pans, and I am bummed that it happened to this item. I almost want to go out and get another one, but that would be a waste. But, now it's not going to fit flush with the burners. I guess it will fit in the opening of other burners once I finally get a gas stove. I can't wait for a gas stove. This whole ordeal would probably not have occurred in the first place if I had a gas stove. That's it. Blame on the electric stoves of apartments. Ah well, there is always a first time for burning beans.







4 Comments:
Yes I always told Jonathan that when we bought our first house, I wanted a gas stove. Some how I have survived all this time without it, but I have plans for our 2nd house.
I'm sorry you warped your pan though, that is frustrating. Maybe you can save up and get a different pan that is unwarpable (if they make those)
I am most impressed that you use a pressure cooker. My mom always used one and I walked a wide arch around the stove when it was going. They always sound like they are about to blow.
Fortunately for me, I married a Yankee who had no idea that beans could comprise a whole meal.
Get a crockpot - the beans will taste just the same. Trust me, I grew up with a Hispanic grandma and she made beans in both the crockpot and the pressure cooker- tasted the same! Pressure cookers scare me! I heard there are electric ones, though - no need for the stove!
I use the pot and I am still scared of it. Is it going to blow? When? Will I be around? If it does, what do I do? So far, it hasn't. And yes, we have a crockpot. We got 4 of them as wedding gifts. But, for Scott's beans, only the pressure cooker will do.
Post a Comment
<< Home