Joseph's Lullaby
It has been quite awhile since I wrote a post with much substance. Usually it's just the "here is the update on what we're doing." So much has been going on the last several months that I just haven't taken much time to be reflective. It feels good to do that today, and now I want to share this with you. It is my prayer that you will be blessed.
Mercy Me sings this amazing song. The Christian radio stations seem to only play it around Christmastime. It really should be played ALL year round! Jesus' birth isn't only important one time per year. I bought it on iTunes so I can listen to it as often as I want.
Every time I hear this song, I imagine three things. First I put myself in Joseph's shoes and try to understand the things he must have felt: humility that God would trust him to raise His child, the awesome responsibility that comes with that, and the fear that accompanies it all. Then I can't help to think about my future son (or child). He of course would not be God, but bear with me. I imagine him in my arms looking into my eyes as if to say "protect me, love me, take care of me." Then I cry out to God to guard his heart so he could sleep in peace without the worry of anything in this world. That he could just rest in the arms of Jesus all the days of his life. I think about all the things he will dream of and the happiness he will experience, and my thoughts just turn into this huge prayer, even for the son I do not yet have. And then I thank God for the chance to hold this precious baby boy and ask that for a moment he can simply be my child.
Today I thought of Whit and Adrienne. They are the newest parents with a son of which I am aware. I think they would be blessed by this song.
Then my thoughts turn inward in a different way. I am reminded of the innocence of children and how scripture emphasizes them with much importance. Jesus urges us all to become like children, and He tells us that "the kingdom belongs to such as these." (Luke 18:15-17) Then I find in me a sort of jealousy. I would love to be cradled again and be without wordly concern. I would love to be so precious again and to sleep peacefully while God guards my heart.
Then I realize I can be like that (at least to a certain extent). I just have to ask God to take my heart there.
Here are the lyrics. Read them carefully and put yourself in Joseph's shoes. Then read them again... then again. Then go to iTunes (or your favorite song purchasing place) and buy it and listen to it. The music just adds to the emotion. You will definitely be blessed. Meanwhile, I am going to try to climb into God's lap and rest there tonight.
Go to sleep my Son
There's a manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head
Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Or does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?
Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace
I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
But Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child
Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, sleep tight
Mercy Me sings this amazing song. The Christian radio stations seem to only play it around Christmastime. It really should be played ALL year round! Jesus' birth isn't only important one time per year. I bought it on iTunes so I can listen to it as often as I want.
Every time I hear this song, I imagine three things. First I put myself in Joseph's shoes and try to understand the things he must have felt: humility that God would trust him to raise His child, the awesome responsibility that comes with that, and the fear that accompanies it all. Then I can't help to think about my future son (or child). He of course would not be God, but bear with me. I imagine him in my arms looking into my eyes as if to say "protect me, love me, take care of me." Then I cry out to God to guard his heart so he could sleep in peace without the worry of anything in this world. That he could just rest in the arms of Jesus all the days of his life. I think about all the things he will dream of and the happiness he will experience, and my thoughts just turn into this huge prayer, even for the son I do not yet have. And then I thank God for the chance to hold this precious baby boy and ask that for a moment he can simply be my child.
Today I thought of Whit and Adrienne. They are the newest parents with a son of which I am aware. I think they would be blessed by this song.
Then my thoughts turn inward in a different way. I am reminded of the innocence of children and how scripture emphasizes them with much importance. Jesus urges us all to become like children, and He tells us that "the kingdom belongs to such as these." (Luke 18:15-17) Then I find in me a sort of jealousy. I would love to be cradled again and be without wordly concern. I would love to be so precious again and to sleep peacefully while God guards my heart.
Then I realize I can be like that (at least to a certain extent). I just have to ask God to take my heart there.
Here are the lyrics. Read them carefully and put yourself in Joseph's shoes. Then read them again... then again. Then go to iTunes (or your favorite song purchasing place) and buy it and listen to it. The music just adds to the emotion. You will definitely be blessed. Meanwhile, I am going to try to climb into God's lap and rest there tonight.
Go to sleep my Son
There's a manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head
Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Or does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?
Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace
I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
But Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child
Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, sleep tight







3 Comments:
I love that song, too! I never thought of applying it the way you are--but I think you are right on--we can let God take our heart there--and I do know there are times when I want God to do just that.
I've been keeping up with baby Ben, too. I am thankful they might be able to take him home in a few days.
For some reason, JettyBetty, I figured you might be the first to comment :-)
That is a beautiful song. Thanks for helping me to get refocused on what is really important. I really liked how you said that we could become childlike if we just asked God. Isn't that awesome, that all we have to do is ask. But yet, it seems to be such a big task because there are so many times that we don't do it.
Post a Comment
<< Home