Help me out!
I'm new to this accident insurance thing. The responsible company is saying a few things, but I am being told by other people that I don't have to settle for less.
- That they will only pay for a reconditioned bumper, not a new one.
- That I have to get my estimate at a certain place, and they will only pay that price, not more if I take it somewhere else to have the work done.
- That my medical bills have to be paid out of pocket and then expensed in like 3 months, after we are sure the injury is healed.
- That I'm entitled to a new bumper since the accident wasn't my fault.
- That I can take my car anywhere to have the work done.
- That I could use the PIP on my own auto insurance to pay for medical bills, and then my insurance would do the collecting from the other company.







5 Comments:
Check your email. I sent you a response.
(You can delete this comment after you read it.)
Karen:
Getting a reconditioned bumper depends on availability. If you're driving a new-model vehicle, it's likely that no reconditioned bumpers will be available and you'll get a new one at no additional cost (or, rather, the other guy's insurance will pay for a new one).
But even if you have to settle for s a reconditioned bumper, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think most folks can tell a difference, especially if it's a good body shop. They paint them and make them look new. (And, technically, I think we're talking about what the auto parts guys call a "bumper cover." The bumper itself is a metal bar behind the cover, I think.)
Also, I think that you can pretty much take your truck anywhere to have it repaired. In most cases, the place you take it will contact the other person's insurance company and they'll work out a price. Few body shops, I think, would get a car, call the insurance company, and then refuse to fix it for the price the insurance company offered. Usually the body shop wants to do the work, especially since it's easy money for them.
Can't add anything about the medical costs. Sonuds like you'll just have to wait to be reimbursed.
Glad you're OK.
-- Erik
Karen,
You need to read your insurance policy to determine what they will cover. Often it is based on the cost not new v. used. If the other guy's insurance is paying for it you may be stuck with what they say. However, get a couple of estimates for them to work with and have it itemized by materials and labor.
As for injury stuff, if you are seriously injured I would seek out a lawyer to negotiate a settlement. (Their fees will be based on a portion of the settlement) You can negotiate a settlement before your are fully healed but this may be a low estimate. Often you are required to pay out of pocket for any treatment prior to filing a claim. KEEP ALL YOUR RECORDS.
Hope that helps... if you need a good attorney let me know
Shyla
The sad fact is that it does not matter what the policies say. The only way to make them do what you want to do is to take them to court and only then does it really matter what the policies say.
What you can do is post the name of the evil company so we be sure to never use their products.
Thanks, guys, for your comments. I've figured it out for the most part. I'll post details once I get a chance.
The evil company's name starts with an S and ends with an O. The middle letters are AFEC.
Post a Comment
<< Home