DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Career thoughts

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

1.24.2008

Career thoughts

I've still been struggling with career choices. A large part of me would still like to pursue nursing. The main drawback at this point is it would still be at least another year before I could start a program because of the stupid 5-year rule. The rule that says certain courses, like Anatomy & Physiology, have to be taken within 5 years of matriculation. I had A&P almost 10 years ago now. So I would have to spend a couple of semesters retaking some classes. This semester was out because of the job with Block. And I need to get out of this lab as quick as possible. The other part is the cost. It's expensive, I would have to get loans, and I wouldn't be able to work full-time.

The current path on my radar screen is still teaching. I recently came across the opportunity to enroll in a summer certification program. It runs June-July, and then I would start in the classroom in August. I'm going to that info session on Feb. 2. I missed the one the day Kylee was born. I just have to find out costs and details about the time commitment. I wouldn't be able to hold a job for those 2 months, and I basically would not get a paycheck for 3 months. So that will take some careful planning. But I'm thinking even if we fell into some sort of deficit during that time, it would work itself out after the first few paychecks because they will be quite a bit larger than my current check. I would rather stay ahead as we go though. I hate debt.

I did find out that I would have to teach science my first year after which I would get my official certificate and could then take another test to teach math. So I would likely target teaching high school biology. Not exactly what I want to do, but do-able.

There is an education service center here that offers exam prep courses for a reasonable fee. I would try to take that course and then take my certification test as early as possible to leave room for a retake in case I do not pass the first time.

So I could teach for a few years, have kids, see where we are then and continue teaching if I need too. Then I can always pursue nursing if I want to later. I can work on one class a semester alongside teaching even. It just makes the most sense right now because of logistics and cost.

So that's what I'm thinking right now. Although, things at Block are going well, and I'm enjoying it a lot (and making a name for myself at least in my own office). The District Manager has noticed me too, so who knows, maybe something could come about there. I've been praying, asking God to throw something in my lap.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home