DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Back in the saddle again

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

4.28.2005

Back in the saddle again

Do you hear it? "Out where a friend is a friend." (Yee-haw!) Come on, sing along...

I feel sort of like I've been put back in the saddle. At least when it comes to music. I found a community orchestra group to play with. Last night was the first rehearsal, and it was such a blast! It felt so good to be playing again. I realized a few months ago how much I missed music being a part of my life. I was on hiatus since September 2003. I honestly can't believe it's been that long. I was getting twitchy though without it. Kind of like how you get when you're trying to clean the lint out of your belly button. You can't stand it! (Good example? I'm not sure.)

Because it had been so long since I even played a note, I was nervous. I was one of the first to arrive but waited for several more to come before I did blow that first note. I had no idea how it was going to sound. When I walked in, I noticed music sitting on my stand that was written for trumpet in A. My trumpet is a B-flat trumpet, so that meant I had to transpose. Yikes! "It's been way too long!" I thought. "I don't remember what to do." I had an idea, but already insecure due to the lack of practice, I didn't want to look dumb on this too. So I rushed outside with my cell phone. Called Angela Richards (friend and principal trumpet for the Ft. Smith Symphony). No answer. Called Curt Niccum (friend and long-time duet partner). No answer. Called Fletch (friend and band director at OC). No answer. "Why isn't anyone answering?!" I asked in desperation. "Oh yeah, because it's Wednesday nite, and they're all at church. Where they will tell me I should have been too." Oops. So I walked back in and decided to try half a step down. Worked OK - when I got the right notes. I also forgot that it requires you to add a lot of flats.

We played for two hours, and then buckled down and read Fanfare for the Common Man at the end - a piece that requires control for intonation and endurance. Somehow I managed to nail every note! In fact, at 1 hour and 30 minutes I was finally feeling warmed up and was raring to go for a lot longer. Now if only I didn't live in an apartment or had a place to go for practicing. I miss the Judd Theatre at OC. Awesome acoustics for practicing.

Well, I left there full of confidence again after a very successful evening. I'm told they want me back. The next rehearsal is in two weeks, so then we'll find out if it was all just luck for the returning enthusiast. This is going to be fun. Now if only the lab search would go this well...

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That is cool. With my guitar I can not even entertain anyone with the thing, but I still like to play for myself. Feels good to get the music out of me.

4/28/2005 10:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have called me, I actually stayed home on Wednesday evening. I always have my instrumentation book handy for all of those musical emergencies!

Becca

4/29/2005 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, Becca. I actually felt really bad when I realized I should have called you. My own sister is a musician, duh! But, I think I was going immediately to those who played trumpet.

4/29/2005 08:14:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You could have called me, too, but I would have been no use to you whatsoever.

4/29/2005 10:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool that you are still playing your trumpet. As for me, once a year is all I can do. I play a couple of scales for my third graders and that act like it is the best thing they've ever heard.

What's your best band memory? Mine would have to be at a children's hospital we played at and Mr. Aston (old band director at OC) used the phrase "brain dead" in front of some special kids. Oops.

4/29/2005 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home