DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Good reads

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

7.06.2005

Good reads

My microscopy course ends this Friday. Then it will officially be summer for me. Though when you are in graduate school, summer does not equal a real break. But we learn to view all breaks, however small, as blessings. And I've got seven solid weeks now without class! Woohoo!

With the impending free evenings comes the desire to do some more reading. Pleasure reading that is. I never read much growing up, other than what was assigned in school. I regret that now. And now it is hard to find time to implement it into my life. Especially in the age of blogs. So I picked up some books from BarnesandNoble.com. It helped that I've had a gift certificate lying around that was about ready to start incurring a monthly fee due to lack of usage. (Thanks, Adam - no hard feelings, I was saving it for when it could be best used. I was hoping towards a textbook, but I just haven't had to buy any of those yet.) He gave it to me at my going away party in Oklahoma.

6904290
My books arrived today. I heard that Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code is going to be made into a movie for next summer. I would like to see it, but I want to read the book first. So I bought Angels and Demons, the prequel to The DaVinci Code. I've heard the "code" book is controversial, but I don't remember why. I decided to just read it for myself.

7748486
I also bought Frank Viola's Pagan Christianity: the Origins of Our Modern Church Practices. This was recommended by our class teacher at church a couple of weeks ago. It is full of insight into why churches do certain things. Why do we dress our best? Why do we have pulpits and pews? Where did these ideas come from? Many came from the pagans. Shocking, isn't it? Do you really think that the disciples gathered in their three piece suits only to sit on the dry ground in the heat without air conditioning? I don't think so. But, don't get me wrong - sometimes I take pride in dressing my best when getting ready to meet with the church. It should be an enlightening read.

And then I bought another book for social benefit. I look forward to my lazy evenings of summer. Of course, I won't want to be lazy every night. I'll get them read eventually.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

But, what if the book for "social benefit" ends up taking up all of your free evenings and you don't have time to read the other two?

7/06/2005 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Nothing like a little lite reading to relax. :)

I do not believe that the original disciples had three piece suits. I believe they were 3 piece togas.

7/06/2005 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, I am tending to go all out aren't I? Maybe I should start with Dr. Suess's Green Eggs and Ham.

7/07/2005 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Actually, "Hop on Pop" is his best.

7/07/2005 05:58:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Although I believe Amy is partial to "Go Dog Go", or "Run Pup Run" or some such. Thankfully there is no "Fart Dog Fart". Sorry you have to read my blog to understand that poor bit of humor.

P.S. I looked up every single word above in the dictionary, just to be safe.

7/07/2005 06:02:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Lol! And good job on the spelling. But you didn't use any difficult words :-)

I still hold tightly to the book about breakfast. It was my first book to read and I even had it memorized - probably still do somewhere in this brain.

7/07/2005 07:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite Dr. Suess was "The Lorax" or maybe it was "The Lorax Tree"...that's great...it's supposedly my favorite and I can't remember the title. I haven't read it in ages. I found it up in a room in my grandmother's house ages ago (I think I was in third or fourth grde) and I sat down and read it --it was one of those special, strange days alone with an interesting book... but back to YOUR books...
I've read the Da Vinci code, which made me extremely interested in the election of the new pope since I read it shortly before the last pope died and I've read Angels and Demons, which I thought was a little weirder--I found them interesting and they made me wish I was a scholar of ancient tongues so I could go look up all the stuff he says is true :)

7/07/2005 07:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home