On bread
When months have 5 Sundays, churches often decide to do something out of the ordinary. churches of Christ, at least. Something other than the traditional evening service. Growing up my church had "5th Sunday Singing." After morning worship, we would all have a pot-luck fellowship meal and then meet back in the auditorium to sing for about an hour. Anyone could request a song, and anyone could lead the singing. Sometimes even groups sang. That reminds me of "The Singing Sisters." My youngest sister and I sang together with another set of sisters, each was our own respective age. We really enjoyed this opportunity. Our favorite songs were It Is Well and Whispering Hope.
Someone at South Macarthur came up with a great idea for the 5th Sunday. We call it "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" All those interested sign up on a card to be either a guest or a host. The office staff match us up randomly, tell us where to go with only an address, and what to bring. The hosts don't know who is coming and don't know exactly what food will be matched with their main dish. The guests have no idea to whose house they are driving, nor any idea who else will be there. It is really fun and is a great way to get to know other people in the church that you may not talk to normally. As a newcomer, I have especially enjoyed it.
I got my match in the mail today, along with my food assignment. It stated simply, "Bread." Perhaps it's because they know I'm single and a poor student. Perhaps it was random. But bread brings this to mind for me:
I was sitting at a youth group devotional when I was in oh say, 8th grade. The leaders suggested we do a chain prayer. Every one sits in a circle, one person starts, and you take turns praying, going around the circle. If someone doesn't want to pray, they just squeeze the hand of the person sitting next to them. Before I go on you have to know a little about the church of Christ. We believe that the Bible teaches that men are to be the leaders in the church and are therefore the ones who lead in public worship (leading singing, teaching, leading public prayers). So, when the chain prayer was suggested this evening years ago, one girl piped up, rather exasperated, "What are the girls supposed to do during the prayer? Bake bread?!" Roars of laughter still fill my ears to this day, and it became a lasting joke among those of us there that evening. I guess I better get to baking my bread if it's going to be ready in time for Sunday. NOT! I think I'll buy crescent rolls.
Someone at South Macarthur came up with a great idea for the 5th Sunday. We call it "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" All those interested sign up on a card to be either a guest or a host. The office staff match us up randomly, tell us where to go with only an address, and what to bring. The hosts don't know who is coming and don't know exactly what food will be matched with their main dish. The guests have no idea to whose house they are driving, nor any idea who else will be there. It is really fun and is a great way to get to know other people in the church that you may not talk to normally. As a newcomer, I have especially enjoyed it.
I got my match in the mail today, along with my food assignment. It stated simply, "Bread." Perhaps it's because they know I'm single and a poor student. Perhaps it was random. But bread brings this to mind for me:
I was sitting at a youth group devotional when I was in oh say, 8th grade. The leaders suggested we do a chain prayer. Every one sits in a circle, one person starts, and you take turns praying, going around the circle. If someone doesn't want to pray, they just squeeze the hand of the person sitting next to them. Before I go on you have to know a little about the church of Christ. We believe that the Bible teaches that men are to be the leaders in the church and are therefore the ones who lead in public worship (leading singing, teaching, leading public prayers). So, when the chain prayer was suggested this evening years ago, one girl piped up, rather exasperated, "What are the girls supposed to do during the prayer? Bake bread?!" Roars of laughter still fill my ears to this day, and it became a lasting joke among those of us there that evening. I guess I better get to baking my bread if it's going to be ready in time for Sunday. NOT! I think I'll buy crescent rolls.







6 Comments:
"Who is coming to dinner?" sounds like a lot of fun.
What a cool Idea. I love the thought of dinner guest being a suprise. that sounds like a terrific way to get to know the other people at church that you might not talk with very much.
I think cresent rolls is an excelent choice, not too many people can say no to cresents. yummy, now you've made me hungry for dinner.
Karen,
Thanks for the sweet comment. I think the dinner fix up is a great idea, too. I enjoy the site and really love the quote from Chris Rice. :) God bless!
I think I will try this myself. I am going to just stop by at dinnertime at everyone I know and surprise them. I will explain that it is some sort of new church deal that I heard about.
I like Chris' idea. These days,anytime someone else is cooking is a great idea.
Btw, I have a great easy and yummy bread recipe if you need it. But if you don't feel like cookin', crescent rolls sound like the way to go:)
What time will the bread be ready?
Post a Comment
<< Home