DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Starting year two... missed out on nostalgia

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

7.25.2005

Starting year two... missed out on nostalgia

This post is more for my own benefit than for that of anyone else.

OMRF party
The OMRF Cardiovascular Biology department at my going away party - July 22, 2004

I handed in my key at OMRF one year ago from last Thursday. I had spent the month saying my goodbyes to all my friends in OK, shedding buckets of tears, and getting ready for the new chapter in my life. The lab had given me a going away party on Thursday, Friday I spent all day with Jeanie as I closed my bank accounts and picked up and loaded the U-Haul, and Saturday morning was the departure. The lab had been such a huge part of my life for three years, and it was hard to rip myself from it and then leave the state and all my friends within two days, but I had prepared well for it. When I was unpacking my lab box the other week, I found in it a copy of a July 2004 month calendar I printed out to help me keep track of all the different appointments every evening. Once I got here, it ended up taking longer than two days to let go after all.

This month I had been thinking ahead to the nostalgic anniversary, but when the days actually came, no thoughts were present. I had even thought that I would blog about all the things I missed, all the things I am learning and such, but no. I guess that's a good sign. But it surprised me, since I am such a person who is attached to sentimental things and events. I have to admit - now that I'm on the other side of that week I feel a small loss. And if I look back to Saturday, I remember feeling somewhat out of sorts - just kind of blah for most of the day. It was in the subconscious, even if I was not literally aware.

Church and school friends
Friends from church and school at my first going away party - July 10, 2004

Here are a few of the details I've kept track of since the move:
After one year, I have put only 13,000 miles on my truck, compared to the normal 19 or 20K, thanks to the train. 1800 of those were in the first three weeks, including the move. And the remaining majority resulted from trips to Austin or OKC to visit friends and family. I think there have been 9 in all, between the two locales, each averaging about 5-600 miles. So what's that? Roughly 650 miles a month in local travel. Maybe I can get an insurance discount.

After one year, I'm finally getting to know all the common names for the highways around here. I-35E is Stemmons at one part, 635 is LBJ, 183 is Airport Freeway, 114 is JFK, I think. Learning those was a necessity since every one from around here used them in giving directions.

After one year, I have a lab! Had no idea it would take that long, but hey, I have at least 4 more years to enjoy it.

After one year, I still miss my friends, Wednesday night dinners, the kids who found a place in my heart, "Alert!," Elvis, the occasional roar of the lab laughter, the mice, but am equally thankful for all the memories that keep me smiling.

After one year, I cannot count on two hands how many friendships are developing. Some will be closer than others, but I am thankful for them all.

After one year, I have learned to trust in God even more than before, and how to better recognize His blessings.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your reflections of this past year. As you took
"The Road Not Taken" it has truly made all the difference. May our God be with you as you add miles to your travel and continue adding friends for memories of years to come.
I Love you,
Mom

7/25/2005 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to see that you have so many different and diverse people around you who care about you!

7/26/2005 05:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Karen-
I miss you and our slumber parties when Erik was gone, but I know what a wonderful opportunity you have down in Texas.
I wish you the best as you start your second year at Southwest. May God bless you richly as you pursue your goals and dreams.
Jeanie

7/26/2005 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Cool, now I get to work for the airline. I've always loved planes, and it won't take me long to get to work from the lab, as Love Field airport can be seen from my window.

7/26/2005 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats on the new job Karen. You know what is funny? We have a highway 183 down here, too, and it goes right past the airport, and it is free, but no one ever calls it Airport Freeway.

7/27/2005 06:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, okay!! Did I mention I am a little sleep deprived and working 70 some-odd hours a week!!!
Hee!Hee!!
Jeanie

7/29/2005 09:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home