DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: A new friend in our house

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

3.31.2007

A new friend in our house

I had wanted a puppy for about 5 years now but was never quite ready for the responsibility. Plus I wanted a big dog (chocolate lab), and that just isn't conducive to an apartment. So I waited. Now that there is someone else to help share the responsibility, we decided to take the plunge.

This is what we got Thursday night.

He's a miniature Schnauzer and is 7 weeks old. Even at adult height and weight he will be a great apartment dog. My friends in Oklahoma had one, and I took care of it several times. They are very loyal, shed very little and aren't much trouble.

Of course, ours is a puppy. The first night he woke us up at 3 a.m. needing to poop. So last night we woke him up before we went to bed and took him out. He stayed quiet until 7:30 this morning. He is hyper for about 30-45 minutes after he eats, but then he crashes again. That's when I went back to bed this morning and slept until he woke me up at 10. I played with him and now I'm trying to put him in his crate so I can blog and go to the store. Scott is exhausted, and I'm letting him catch up on some rest. I'm having to type this near his cage or he yelps, but now he is quieting down.

Scott is really enjoying him too. We haven't told the apartments about him yet. The deposit is $500. And yesterday maintenance was coming to fix a shelf that had fallen in our closet. So Scott took him to work with him. I picked the puppy up when I got off in the early afternoon, and I could tell Scott is already attaching to the dog. It's really cute to watch them play together.


So how much of this foreshadows a baby? No, we're not ready for one of those yet. But I guess this will be at least some sort of practice.

Any suggestions for names?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger EandJTrygg said...

Jeanie likes "Squeakers," but I told her that these particular dogs look a bit like little old, wise men. So my vote is for "Wizard" (had a friend with a dog like yours with that name) or, if you're really daring (i.e., nerdy) go with "Gandalf." Actually, we think "Alfred" is a good compromise name. -- Erik

3/31/2007 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Soloman, Moses, Lincoln, Cary Grant, Paco, Schnoopy, Reginald, Wallace (Wally), Arthur.
I guess the scene writer in me came out. He looks like quite the character. You are wise to take your time with the perfect name.
How fun!

4/01/2007 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Kimberley said...

He is just adorable Karen! Congrats of finding such a great puppy. I looked at the grown ones and they are adorable too and they do look like old men.

4/01/2007 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wallace was on our list Amy. Great minds think alike.

Erik, thanks but no :-)

Kimmie, yes, he is going to be good looking. What are your name suggestions?

4/01/2007 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mackenzie votes for Suzie. I told her that the puppy was a boy, but she insisted that , "Suzie will work just fine, it will."

4/02/2007 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mr.Wilson, Romeo, Sir Charles, Caesar, Oscar, Mozart, Ronald, Reginald. Did I already say "Paco"?

4/02/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Well actually Amy, I'm still stuck on Wallace, but Scott doesn't like it; he likes Baxter. We have also considered Peso, to be Spanish.

4/02/2007 02:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww what a cutie! I think he looks like a Spitz to me :)

Ben thought getting our dog, Leah, would be a good stepping stone to a baby. Well, it's been 3 years and I haven't lost her yet! Good luck with the new addition!

4/02/2007 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I think you should call him tabasco since Scott likes it so much!! He is very cute, I'm glad you finally got your puppy!

4/04/2007 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

He looks like an Alberto to me.

4/05/2007 07:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home