More dog tales
Yes, my life does consist of more than my dog, but lately there is a lot to say about him.
First of all, our little boy is growing up. This morning he lifted his leg for the first time and marked a tree. Up until now he has only done the puppy squat to relieve himself. Is that act instinctual? He hasn't been around enough dogs yet to witness others doing it.
Then later this morning, as we were outside again, Wallace found chocolate. Yes, CHOCOLATE! Very bad for a dog. Someone (probably a kid) must have dropped part of their chocolate bar in the side yard. I'm glad I was observant this morning. When I moved Wallace away from the area, at first all I saw was this glob. Honestly, it looked like an old plum or prune or something. I didn't want to touch it. What if it was poop?! But I braved it for my own dog's safety. I scooped a bit up on my finger, sniffed it, and sure enough... chocolate.
Into the house I ran to surf the internet. I had no idea how much he ate. I had no idea how much will poison a dog. This website was a good resource. I can only assume it's milk chocolate. It smells stronger, but it's too light to be dark chocolate, and if it was baking chocolate (the worst for dogs), that would mean someone is out to poison a dog on purpose. No one carries around and eats baking chocolate, so they wouldn't accidentally drop it.
I was worried, but I don't want to be one who runs to the vet for every little event. Especially because you then come into unknowingly high bills way too fast. The website said I could use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. I gave him one teaspoon, he heaved a lot, but no dice. Another does after 15 minutes, hardly any heaving... is he already used to it? I kept him in the bathroom for a while hoping he would vomit on the linoleum instead of the carpet. No go. He seemed fine.
5 minutes later... yes... on the carpet. I'm thankful for my Bissell Little Green Machine. Worked like a charm.
It's now more than 2 hours since the ingestion. He's sleeping peacefully in his cage. I think he's going to be fine.
I would like to pick up some Syrup of Ipecac and activated charcoal, and maybe this book.
First of all, our little boy is growing up. This morning he lifted his leg for the first time and marked a tree. Up until now he has only done the puppy squat to relieve himself. Is that act instinctual? He hasn't been around enough dogs yet to witness others doing it.
Then later this morning, as we were outside again, Wallace found chocolate. Yes, CHOCOLATE! Very bad for a dog. Someone (probably a kid) must have dropped part of their chocolate bar in the side yard. I'm glad I was observant this morning. When I moved Wallace away from the area, at first all I saw was this glob. Honestly, it looked like an old plum or prune or something. I didn't want to touch it. What if it was poop?! But I braved it for my own dog's safety. I scooped a bit up on my finger, sniffed it, and sure enough... chocolate.
Into the house I ran to surf the internet. I had no idea how much he ate. I had no idea how much will poison a dog. This website was a good resource. I can only assume it's milk chocolate. It smells stronger, but it's too light to be dark chocolate, and if it was baking chocolate (the worst for dogs), that would mean someone is out to poison a dog on purpose. No one carries around and eats baking chocolate, so they wouldn't accidentally drop it.
I was worried, but I don't want to be one who runs to the vet for every little event. Especially because you then come into unknowingly high bills way too fast. The website said I could use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. I gave him one teaspoon, he heaved a lot, but no dice. Another does after 15 minutes, hardly any heaving... is he already used to it? I kept him in the bathroom for a while hoping he would vomit on the linoleum instead of the carpet. No go. He seemed fine.
5 minutes later... yes... on the carpet. I'm thankful for my Bissell Little Green Machine. Worked like a charm.
It's now more than 2 hours since the ingestion. He's sleeping peacefully in his cage. I think he's going to be fine.
I would like to pick up some Syrup of Ipecac and activated charcoal, and maybe this book.
Labels: Wallace







1 Comments:
That's so weird- Samson ate chocolate last night. Fortunately I could tell how much he had eaten so I determined that he would be okay. He was just really really hyper! We had to keep him confined today in case he got diarrhea, which they predicted. But I totally understand how scary it is!
Do you think Wallace and Sam have been emailing each other plans to eat chocolate?
Post a Comment
<< Home