DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: Insurance lowdown

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

11.21.2007

Insurance lowdown

Thanks again for all your emails, phone calls and comments in response to the previous post. I think I about have it figured out, and it could in fact really work in my favor.

It turns out the best option for the medical expense part is to first use the personal injury protection (PIP) on my own auto insurance policy. Anyone would be foolish not to use it if they have it. I have State Farm, the best auto insurance company ever!!! I do not know if you are required to carry PIP or if it was just an option we opted for. Whatever it may be, I am so glad we have it. For us, it is worth $2500 per person per accident.

The PIP will reimburse me in full as I go through my treatments. I do not have to wait until the end for the settlement. In fact, my adjuster said sometimes the check is cut the same day they receive my faxed receipt. Talk about service. Some other facts include:
  • It does not require a deductible payment. You have already paid for it in your monthly premium.
  • It does not go against you or increase your subsequent premiums.
  • By state law, my company is not able to go after the other company for reimbursement.
  • I will still turn in receipts to the other company for reimbursement also as part of the settlement which is supposed to also include compensation for time off work and pain and suffering.
Those last two facts sort of make me uncomfortable because it is essentially "double dipping," getting reimbursed twice for the same receipt. But, that's how they set it up so I am not going to argue.

I did make it to the doctor yesterday, and the initial assessment is simply a strained trapezius muscle for which I am now on a muscle relaxant to help control any spasms. (By the way, the picture of the muscle in the link is great. My pain is up and down my neck and spine right where the muscle meets the bones.) I also have some occasional weakness in my left shoulder that is not quite explained yet. We will reconvene after the holidays and reevaluate the need for further treatment such as physical therapy. I plan to also get myself evaluated by a non-quack chiropractor. Even one adjustment may help tremendously. Honestly, I think a massage would do wonders too, especially by someone who specializes in massage for injury treatment, but I don't want to take advantage of the system.

I did also find out that it is best to pay for all medical bills first out of pocket, away from health insurance. If your health insurance gets ahold of it, they will put a lien against your settlement so that they get their money first. Some clinics might also bill your PIP holder directly.

I hope I am not injured too badly, but if I end up with a little bit of money in the end, I'm not going to complain. Though I'm sure I will receive a 1099 next year and have to pay taxes on it :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home