Driving cautiously now
I've never experienced anything like it before! I turned left out of a parking lot and felt the bed of my truck get a mind of it's own. I remembered you're supposed to steer into the slide, but it was happening so fast, I didn't know which way my wheels were pointing to begin with. I steered left - I saw trees. I really thought I was going to turn all the way around. I steered right - I saw a curb. Control found me again.
My heart was pounding! I proceeded ahead at about 5 miles per hour, then pulled off to the side. I looked first at my tires, then I stood and breathed. What just happened? It was not icy today, but it had rained this morning. I suspect I might have hit a slick oil spot just right. The light had just turned green, and there was only one person behind me, and luckily they stayed back far enough while my truck was all over the road. I wonder what all the other people sitting at the other light were thinking.
I was leaving school this afternoon when this happened and found myself nervous at every other left turn all the way home. It only took one second for me to lose all confidence in my truck, even though I've been driving it for three years.
My heart was pounding! I proceeded ahead at about 5 miles per hour, then pulled off to the side. I looked first at my tires, then I stood and breathed. What just happened? It was not icy today, but it had rained this morning. I suspect I might have hit a slick oil spot just right. The light had just turned green, and there was only one person behind me, and luckily they stayed back far enough while my truck was all over the road. I wonder what all the other people sitting at the other light were thinking.
I was leaving school this afternoon when this happened and found myself nervous at every other left turn all the way home. It only took one second for me to lose all confidence in my truck, even though I've been driving it for three years.







2 Comments:
I have done that before! The roads in Florida have this certain asphalt that gets real slick in even the most moderate moisture, and I was driving along, and the whole car did a 360, and all the other drivers look at you like you are crazy, and I was trying to look like, yea I ment to do that...
So anyway, glad you are safe.
Karen, I am so glad you are safe. I must admit my heart started pounding as I read the title. I guess it is my reaction to the accident we were in so long ago. When you start into anything like that you never know how it will end. It is scarry.
I think you analyzed it correctly as rain slicked streets can be treacherous.
Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home