DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Better blog header
Photo by Mary Ann Melton valleys fill first: I need to win a shopping spree

"Every day is a gift you've been given. Make the most of the time, every minute you're living." -Chris Rice

9.26.2007

I need to win a shopping spree

I don't think it would take me long to spend $1000. I have been on a decorating kick lately.

Scott found this apartment right before he met me and moved in shortly after we met. I moved in when we got married. That means I had to find places for my things to go and all the new things we received as gifts. I have never felt at home here, honestly. I wish we could have picked out a place together.

We have tossed around the idea of moving for the last several months. Mostly to downsize and save money, but also to find a place with a kitchen that doesn't have white cabinets, more drawers, and to rectify other things I don't like about this apartment. Plus it is far from where we both work.

All that said, after looking around, we realize what an incredible deal we have here, especially with having a garage.. If we downsized we would have to take on a storage unit at a cost of about $100/month and meaning that we really wouldn't be saving all that much. Plus, who likes to move?! All I can see is packing, packing, and more packing. While the final verdict is still out, we're pretty sure we will stay put for at least another year.

Back to shopping...
I'm so ready to be in a house, but being as they are so expensive here, this is what I am thinking. I want to paint the living room a soft blue and buy some brown curtains to dress up the window. This will complement our sofas and coffee/end tables nicely. I'm so tired of the white walls, and with a living area as large as ours, that is A LOT of white! All we have to do is prime it upon moving out, and they have no problem with us painting it. I have several paint swatches and have already picked out the curtains. They're at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think I have a pan I can take back to cover the cost of one panel...

Today I bought a ficus tree for the corner by the window. I have always wanted a ficus. Don't know why really, but it adds some character to the space. I'm thinking either a nice painting, mirror, or maybe just some decorative shelving for over the couch. And I caught some nice sconces at an incredible deal that might fit too, depending what I decide to do.

I also might paint one wall in the bedroom (the one behind the bed) a gold harvest color, something to complement the bed covering. We purchased a neat abstract painting for over the bed. Can you tell we have almost nothing on our walls right now? That's something else that bothers me.

Anyway, if I had more money, I'm sure I would find a way to decorate even more. But hopefully this will suffice for now. I'll post pictures once we get things done. I don't think we'll be able to paint for at least another month.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Ha! I read "sconces" as "scones". I couldn't figure out why you wanted pastries in your living room!

I am on a decorating kick as well. Somewhat same story....new place, I want to feel at home here. We've been here since Feb and just put pics last weekend!

9/26/2007 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Gina I thought the same thing!

I have thought about painting our walls a couple of times, but I am a scardy cat. Maybe after we paint the baby's room I will have more confidence. I really like the idea of the brown and blue colors. That would be really warm!

9/27/2007 06:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home